Thursday, January 24, 2013

Lessons of the Country.

The show of the last ten months or so has been Sex in the City. I can't help it. This show is the definition of guilty pleasure. Funny, light, easy to watch, and (let's face it) the guide to womanhood. Though most of the show is what NOT to do as a grown woman, the four city women do show many truths about life.

I could go on and on as to what these truths are and how they apply to everything in everyone's lives, but I won't. You are welcome. A few nights ago, I was perusing the aisles of my local grocery store when I thought how Sex in the City lessons relate to country women. Sure, I can't run out and call a cab or grab a disgusting, yet amazing hot dog from a food cart. However, home life, love life, social life. LIFE. This is the same wherever you live. Especially for women.

Regardless of where you reside, best friends are best friends. A heart break is a heart break. A knock off is a knock off. Most importantly....men are still men.

While I haven't had the opportunity to live in a city like New York, yet, I just spent seven months in Orlando on an internship. I loved the fast paced atmosphere of living in the city. Traffic excited me more than frustrated me. There was always something to do. If I wanted to do something or go out for a bite at 3am, it was never a problem.

Enter small town Tennessee.

Pros: Gorgeous Mountains. The Smokey Mountain National Park is 30 minutes from my driveway. An abundance of hiking and country music. Weather wise, you can enjoy all four seasons in the span of one week. Rain on Monday and Tuesday. 70 degree weather on Wednesday. Storms on Thursday. Snow on Friday and Saturday. Southern hospitality is in abundance 'round these parts. You can strike up a conversation with a stranger anywhere and make an instant friend.

Cons: I. Loathe. Country. Music. The only good thing to come from country music is Keith Urban. Thank you, Australia. I would still be grateful for him if he were mute. The weather thing? We don't advertise that on our brochures for a reason. I can never pack up clothes, seasonally, because I never know what the weather will be like the next day. "Ergo", you are a snotty hot mess and have a continuous head cold from December through March. Everything closes early in a small town. Everything.

My friend and I were studying at a coffee shop the other night. They closed at nine. So we relocated the the McDonald's down the street. The hours posted claimed they were open for two more hours. After every employee stared us down for a good 3 minutes, we decided to just use the gas to drive to my place.

Lesson Learned: Slow down and try to enjoy to little things. Also, never go to McDonald's in a small town. Ever.

As far as the men...well, that's for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment