Friday, January 25, 2013

You Decide.

I'm sorry to report I am one of those girls who hates to makes decisions. Taking it a step further, I'm a redhead and, therefore, will refuse to make decisions.

The sad thing is, the kind of people who don't make decisions annoy me. I'll ask a friend to lunch and it takes us hours to decide on a place due to our inability to chose a simple restaurant. Thank God for Starbucks. At least coffee dates are stress free.

Many times, decision making goes so much deeper than even I realize. You have to seriously consider the consequences of the decision you are making. I can screw up a restaurant decision easily. What does that say about the big decisions?

The part that really gets me, though, is after you've made the decision. How do you know you've really made the right decision?

I recently had to make a huge decision that drastically focuses the next (at least) few years of my life. I had made my pros and cons list. Prayed about it. Meditated on it. Ran all the numbers. The decision I made had to be the right one. As I told all the immediate important parties, I felt a sense of peace about the situation.

Days later, I find myself in an almost panic. Did I make the right decision? Should I have changed some things around and just made it work? Am I playing it too safe? Have I closed a door on what could be one of my greatest adventures?

How do you know when you've truly made the right decision? I keep hoping a shining light will come down to reassure me or Morgan Freeman will give me a call to tell me "You did the right thing. All in good timing, Gingersnap."

But neither of those is going to happen. The truth is, we just have to make our decisions and roll with the punches. If we knew the perfect outcome to every decision ahead of time, life would be so dull.

Lesson learned: Decisions will always suck. And stress is a great weight loss program.

No comments:

Post a Comment